Subject: Re: dem's
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:33:52 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Hanson wrote:

>   I have a few ftp/www sites for USGS stuff that I'll mention here,
> but again I believe they only have the 90-meter data, and I don't
> think VP will load that, only the 30-meter data.
...
>   ObWCSPlug: When you get bored with VistaPro, buy World Construction
> Set. We load almost everything under the sun. You won't be disappointed.
> Ask anyone on the list who owns it. I'll shut up now.

I saw a demo of WCS in December, and it looked smarter than VistaPro
and better integrated with LightWave.  For my own use, I'm waiting to
hear that it loads DMA DTED Level 1 (the real thing, not 3-arcsecond
USGS DEMs) and runs under Windows, especially on an Alpha.  This would
do some things for me that I'm having to hand code now.

But in my limited experience with VistaPro, I can't recall it refusing
to load something obtained from an ftp site, which means either that
VistaPro will load--maybe not handle properly, but load--other resolu-
tions, or there's more 30-meter data out there than you think.  (Re
having the whole U.S., this means it's available for purchase in Vista-
Pro format, not that it comes with the product.)

The Internet is a powderkeg medium.  Almost anything you say can blow
up in your face, which is why I think NewTek stays away from directly
participating in the LW forums.  If you must post, folks, try not to
say anything at all about your competitors, but in particular anything
you're not absolutely sure is true.

- Ernie

--
Ernie Wright <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]